Forum closed

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Forum closed

Forum closed

5 posters

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production

Bryan Krueger
    Bryan Krueger
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Empty Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production

Post by Bryan Krueger Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 am

Here are a couple of photos of a Stug III that I have been building for an IPMS Review so I can't post too many right now. I'm done with the basic kit but plan to add some extras for myself. The build is sorta OOB. I tweaked a lot of the little items that weren't "late 44"  most of which you don't even notice now. Rolling Eyes I did replace the kit barrel and tracks. I started working on this July 26th. This is probably one of my fastest build/paints in a long time with a goal of getting it finished over the weekend but that hasn't happened. The model has been painted with Tamiya acrylics. I experimented with John's Windex trick but no amount of scrubbing worked so I used the old standby HS technique for the worn paint. All weathering is achieved with oil paints and AK enamel and pigment products. Yesterday was mud and dust day and it took me a few hours to achieve the look I was after.  

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug3_g_1

The kit doesn't include Schurzen, so I made those. I'm experimenting with the foliage. So far I used MiniNature foliage over a dried root. I then sprinkled on Oregano leaves and set with HS. It needs a touch of paint. The spare track armor rust looks a bit hookey right now. I need to redo those and add the hanging hooks or the weld beads. I used Alliance Model Work two piece stencils for the Balkenkreuz. Very nice system.

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug3_g_2

I looked at this build as a dry run for the Early and Zimm'd StugIIIs I have planned but I have a few MaK things I want to get back on first.

Cheers BK
    Tobias Bayer
    Tobias Bayer
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Empty Re: Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production

Post by Tobias Bayer Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:54 am

Very cool Stug.
    Fabri8873
    Fabri8873
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Empty Re: Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production

Post by Fabri8873 Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:13 am

Great Job!

Fabrizio.
    All in my blog
    Alex Benvenuti
    Alex Benvenuti
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Post by Alex Benvenuti Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Wow! I love it! Smile
    Alex!
    Bryan Krueger
    Bryan Krueger
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Post by Bryan Krueger Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks. I've made a few minor tweaks and have a couple of touch-ups before calling this finished.

A special thanks to IPMS/USA and Dragon-USA for the review sample.
    Bryan Krueger
    Bryan Krueger
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Post by Bryan Krueger Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:51 pm

The build review has been posted. Additional images and review can be found here:

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/stugiii-ausfg-late-december-1944

There are some minor issues I see from the photos that need to be touched up. Funny how you don't see certain things or forget about them until you say you're done. Rolling Eyes Wink  I'm also going to apply the schurzen and rest of the foliage for StuG 2.0. Stay tuned.
    Bryan Krueger
    Bryan Krueger
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Post by Bryan Krueger Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:03 am

Here are the final images with foliage. I applied MiniNature foliage over dried plant roots. I then sprayed these bundles with hairspray and rolled in dried Oregano. Then more HS to set the leaves. I then airbrushed to apply light coats of green.

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug_01

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug_07

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug_05

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug_03

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug_06
    Mark Chisholm
    Mark Chisholm
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Post by Mark Chisholm Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:29 am

Stug is allways great when at this top level.... but the Foliage is fantastic !! I wish I could do that!

best
    Mark
    Bryan Krueger
    Bryan Krueger
    Master of modelling
    Master of modelling

Post by Bryan Krueger Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 am

Thanks a lot Mark. I appreciate the comments. The foliage has been the easy part.

I found out from a couple of sources that the green base color was being phased in at this time frame and this stug probably should be green. It bothered me enough that I decided to paint this again. The model still had a winning combination of paint thinner and hair spray odors but I decided to just dive in again. Parts like the schurzen and roof were stripped down to bare plastic for repaint. The upper hull was sprayed with gray primer and cleaned up a little. The lower hull and running gear were painted directly over the prior weathering.

Paints are Tamiya acrylics with HS for some of the chipping. I went with the same basic scheme as before. MG is loose for now. Lots of touch ups needed.

Going to be a PITA to paint all those little details in place.

My goal will be the same amount of mud and dust. Photos are quick ones with the phone before bed last night.

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug_01

Dragon Stug 3 III Dec 44 Production Stug_03

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:21 pm